What: Sport Twenty
Who: NM State (7-12, 0-7 WAC) at Utah Tech (9-10, 1-5 WAC)
When: Saturday, Jan. 21, 7 p.m. MT
The place: St. George, Utah – Burns Enviornment (4,779)
Hear: Zia Nation 99.5 (PxP – Jack Nixon)
Attend: On-line Ticket Gross sales
Stay Stats: Click on Right here
Comply with: Twitter – @NMStateMBB, Instagram – @NMStateMBB, Fb – NM State Males’s Basketball
THE OPENING TIP
• The beginning of league play has not gone in accordance with plan for the Aggies as they’ve misplaced their first seven WAC contests by a mean margin of 12.0 factors after successful a minimum of a share of 4 of the earlier 5 WAC Common Season titles.
• Till this season, NM State had solely began with seven league losses in two different seasons (1954-55, 1945-46).
• Saturday, the Aggies will take the courtroom at Burns Enviornment in quest of its first league win towards an opponent it has by no means misplaced to in program historical past when it collides with Utah Tech.
• The street contest additionally marks the second of three straight video games within the state of Utah for the Aggies after taking up Southern Utah on Thursday and forward of a matchup with Utah Valley one week from Saturday.
CHI CHI FOR THREE THREE
• Sophomore ahead Marchelus Avery has seen his function increase in his second yr with this system and has developed his sport from past the arc after making simply 10 three pointers final season.
• Avery has already more-than-doubled that quantity this season as he has drained 23 three-pointers whereas capturing 44.2% from deep to rank first amongst Aggies with a minimum of 10 makes an attempt
• The Richmond, Va., native has solely upped his skill to be a risk from three-point land throughout convention play as he’s tied with Xavier Pinson because the workforce’s chief in made threes in WAC play with 14. Moreover, Avery is capturing a blistering 56% from downtown towards league opponents.
PINSON NOT MISSIN’
• Xavier Pinson has been computerized from the charity stripe throughout convention play as he presently ranks fifth within the WAC in free throw proportion in convention play by the use of making 23 of 25 throughout the Aggies’ first seven WAC contests.
• In his first season with NM State, Pinson has shot 86.7 % from the free throw line to rank first amongst Aggies, second within the WAC and forty ninth within the nation.
• In 4 and a half years on the collegiate ranks, Pinson has scored 1,407 factors – placing him simply 93 factors shy of reaching 1,424 for his profession.
• As of now, Pinson would wish to common simply 6.9 factors per sport to achieve this milestone in the course of the common season slate.
• Serving because the lone Aggie to have began in each sport this season, Pinson paces the Aggies in scoring, notching 246 whole factors to common 12.9 factors per sport.
HISTORIC WAC DOMINANCE
• Amid its ultimate season within the WAC, NM State has put collectively some of the spectacular runs in all of school basketball.
• Throughout 17-plus years, the Aggies have posted a 196-71 document towards convention opponents.
• Moreover, the Aggies’ 10 WAC Match titles is probably the most in convention historical past with UTEP’s 5 event titles being the subsequent closest.
• Deshawndre Washington and Xavier Pinson have been some of the prolific backcourts within the nation and are presently averaging a mixed 8.3 assists per sport.
• Each Pinson and Washington presently rank inside the highest ten within the WAC in assists per sport as Pinson’s 4.5 assist-per-game common is second-best within the convention and Washington’s common of three.8 assists ranks seventh.
• The 2 guards who hail from Chicago, Sick., are additionally the one two Aggies to common double figures as Pinson leads the Aggies by scoring 12.9 factors per sport whereas Washington ranks second on the squad, posting 12.1 factors per contest.
• Pinson and Washington are additionally the one two Aggies averaging greater than half-hour of enjoying time beneath Greg Heiar this season.
• The Aggies’ present six-game shedding streak marks the primary time that NM State has misplaced seven consecutive video games since 2010-11. This was additionally one in all solely two instances that NM State dropped greater than six video games inside WAC play.
NO WALK IN THE PARK IN THE WAC
• For years, WAC Championships have run by way of Las Cruces and there seemed to be a gulf between NM State and the remainder of the league, nonetheless, this season it appears to be like as if the remainder of the league has lastly caught up.
• At the moment, the WAC ranks eleventh out of 32 Division I conferences in common NET rating (161.54).
• Final season, the convention made a large soar to complete with a mean NET rating of 194.0 to conclude the season ranked fifteenth out of 31 after ending ranked twenty sixth in 2020-21.
• In the meantime, from the 2018-19 season to the 2021-22 season, the WAC posted a ultimate common NET rating of 212.22 with a ultimate common rating of 20.5.
Yr Avg. NET Rank
2021-22 194.00 fifteenth
2020-21 238.56 twenty sixth
2019-20 245.11 twenty fifth
2018-19 171.22 sixteenth
NM STATE ON THIS DATE
• Throughout the historical past of this system, the Aggies
have performed on the twenty first of January a complete of
27 instances – boasting an general document of 15-12, together with a 3-2 mark in WAC play.
• Thursday will mark the Aggies’ twelfth
away sport on Jan. 21 with NM State posting a 5-6 document.
SCOUTING THE TRAILBLAZERS
• In his 18th yr with the Trailblazers, Head Coach Jon Judkins will lead Utah Tech on Saturday towards the Aggies.
• Since arriving in St. George, Judkins has helped usher this system’s rise from the junior school degree to the Division I degree.
• Final yr, Utah Tech completed with an general document of 13-18 whereas going 6-12 in its second season within the WAC.
• This season, the Trailblazers have accrued only one win in league play – defeating UTRGV of their league opener on Dec. 29. Since then, Utah Tech is 0-5 towards convention opponents whereas shedding by a mean of 13.4 factors per sport.
• Regardless of their shedding document, the Trailblazers have been pretty profitable at house – successful six of their first eight house tilts, though, three of these wins did come over non-DI packages.
• The Trailblazers’ main scorer is senior guard Cameron Gooden who averages 15.6 factors per sport to rank seventh within the convention. This features a 29-point effort at Utah St. earlier this season.
• The vast majority of the rest of Utah Tech’s factors will seemingly come from Isiah Pope and Tanner Christensen who additionally common double figures this season – averaging 12.6 and 10.4 factors, respectively.