Because the annual competition returned to Park Metropolis in pressure, readers have been extra keen than ever to get a way of what was occurring on the bottom.
After two years of a predominantly digital competition expertise, the Sundance Movie Pageant returned to (largely regular) with its 2023 version. And whereas merely saying, “Hey, we’re again!” solely goes to this point (and has been so typically repeated that it doesn’t actually maintain a lot pleasure as of late), a sampling of the highest tales you — our very personal IndieWire readers — have been most concerned with from this 12 months’s competition reveals that issues occurring on the bottom have been most interesting.
Whereas Sundance’s digital platform — out there to each members of the press and common ol’ cinephiles — was filled with new movies to observe, issues that unfolded solely in Park Metropolis, from the information of Doug Liman’s secret Brett Kavanaugh documentary to the controversy surrounding captioning availability to in-person occasions, picked up probably the most eyeballs.
Additionally of curiosity to readers: opinions for buzzy movies (like “The Starling Woman,” “Eileen,” and “Generally I Assume About Dying,” that are nonetheless one way or the other searching for residence; hiya, distributors!), a wise unpacking of all of the s-e-x within the lineup, and Jennifer Connelly noodling on the which means of “nepo child.” Readers additionally needed to listen to about what’s subsequent out of the competition, because of opinions of sizzling purchase “Truthful Play,” the complete checklist of awards winners, and our best-of-fest information (which incorporates data on learn how to really see all these great movies).
And whereas Sundance has now wrapped, that doesn’t imply our protection has concluded. Try our full critics survey to see which movies over 300 (!!) critics deemed one of the best of the fest, watch our full run of in-studio interviews with a number of the largest names of competition, and take a look at for each piece of key Sundance information (from opinions to interviews and a lot extra) over at our official Sundance 2023 bible. Till subsequent 12 months!
1. Sundance Jury Walks Out of ‘Journal Desires’ Premiere Over Failure to Present Captioning
2. Secret Brett Kavanaugh Documentary from Doug Liman Added to Sundance Lineup
3. ‘Justice’ Overview: Brett Kavanaugh Doc Ought to Compel FBI to Reopen Investigation
4. Sundance 2023: 27 Should-See Movies at This Yr’s Pageant, from ‘Infinity Pool’ to ‘Cat Individual’ and Extra
5. ‘The Starling Woman’ Overview: Eliza Scanlen Shines as a Christian Teen Who Sins with Her Attractive Pastor
6. ‘Truthful Play’ Overview: This Sick Psychosexual Finance Thriller Is ‘Business’ Directed by Adrian Lyne
7. Jennifer Connelly Doesn’t Know In regards to the ‘Nepo Child’ Debate, Simply That Alice Englert Is a Main Directing Expertise
8. This Yr, Sundance Was All About Intercourse
9. ‘Infinity Pool’ Overview: Brandon Cronenberg’s New Nightmare Is Shallow and Hedonistic
10. ‘Eileen’ Overview: Anne Hathaway and Thomasin McKenzie Are Profession-Finest in a Perverse Folie à Deux
11. See All of the Images from the Return of the IndieWire Studio at Sundance, Offered by Dropbox
12. ‘A Thousand and One’ Wins Sundance Grand Jury Prize: Full Winners Record
13. Doug Liman on How He Saved His Explosive Brett Kavanaugh Documentary Underneath Wraps Till Now
14. Right here Are the Sundance 2023 Movies You’re Going to Wish to See
15. ‘Generally I Assume About Dying’ Overview: Daisy Ridley’s Wondrous, Whimsical New Journey
Signal Up: Keep on prime of the most recent breaking movie and TV information! Join our E-mail Newsletters right here.