With simply two weeks left within the 2022 common season, the faculty soccer rankings have largely settled. However when the up to date AP Prime 25 is launched Sunday, we expect some shuffling after a busy Week 11 of scores and outcomes throughout the game. Each crew from final week’s AP Prime 25 was in motion with 4 video games between ranked groups permitting for some motion up and down throughout the rankings.
As soon as this week’s outcomes settled, essentially the most notable actions will embody Washington seeing a giant enhance after its highway upset of top-10 Oregon and a soar for UCF because it strikes into the motive force’s seat for a New Yr’s Six bid after its win at Tulane. Georgia will stay within the high spot, seemingly coming near a unanimous No. 1 choice. Although each Ohio State and Michigan dominated in victories, these video games got here at dwelling towards groups with shedding information, whereas the Bulldogs had been simply as spectacular on the highway towards a crew that might be within the postseason.
TCU might probably transfer to No. 3 on some ballots after grinding out a low-scoring win at Texas, however the voting factors disparity between the Horned Frogs and Wolverines was far too nice final week to count on a change within the consensus rankings. When you could have 4 video games between ranked groups, like TCU’s win at Texas and Washington’s upset of Oregon, there are assured to be some adjustments within the order however not all the time a change within the groups ranked within the ballot.
The Geese usually are not going to drop too far, and Ole Miss is not more likely to both after each groups entered the weekend with only one loss and had been defeated by an in depth margin. Texas faces a far totally different state of affairs because the TCU defeat was Steve Sarkisian’s fourth lack of the season, making the Longhorns arguably essentially the most fascinating loser of the highest 25 weekend from a rankings perspective.
A few of the most dramatic week-to-week changes ought to come close to the underside of the ballot. NC State’s loss to Boston Faculty, Liberty’s loss at UConn, and Illinois’ loss to Purdue will release spots within the rankings, and AP voters are going to have a various assortment of nominees for these last spots. That is very true as a result of a number of the groups who had been simply exterior the highest 25 final week took losses, together with Kentucky, Wake Forest and Baylor.
Here is how we expect the brand new AP Prime 25 will look on Sunday.
1. Georgia (Final week — 1): No change at No. 1 after Georgia took its championship kind on the highway and flexed towards Mississippi State. The Bulldogs have clinched the SEC East for the fifth time in six years and can have an opportunity to win it outright with an 8-0 convention file subsequent week towards Kentucky within the SEC on CBS Recreation of the Week.
2. Ohio State (2): There isn’t any concern in regards to the Buckeyes after a 56-14 win vs. Indiana, although there’s some fear about damage points on this crew. TreVeyon Henderson didn’t play once more, and Miyan Williams left the sport on the cart, leaving the working again room awfully skinny by the top of the sport. However so long as C.J. Stroud (5 touchdowns) and at the least a few the blue-chip huge receivers on this roster are wholesome, the Buckeyes are able to competing for a nationwide championship.
3. Michigan (3): No main change in place for Michigan after a 34-3 consequence towards Nebraska that just about hit the expectation for the way that sport was going to play out.
4. TCU (4): The magical run for Sonny Dykes and the Horned Frogs continues as beating Texas in Austin clinches a spot within the Large 12 title sport and strikes the crew to 10-0.
5. Tennessee (5): The 66-24 win towards Missouri was a give-and-go contest with the Volunteers establishing the early lead then hitting the fuel any time the Tigers obtained shut. Hendon Hooker threw for 3 touchdowns in his last sport in Neyland Stadium, and the Vols put a quantity on the board that may hold voters (and extra importantly the Faculty Soccer Playoff Choice Committee) curious about their top-four possibilities.
6. LSU (7): The 13-10 win at Arkansas wasn’t fairly offensively, however Harold Perkins Jr. (4 sacks, two pressured fumbles) was the most effective participant on the sphere for both crew. Now 6-1 in convention play, the Tigers have simply the house finale towards UAB and the common season finale at Texas A&M left earlier than convention championship weekend.
7. USC (8): A season-ending damage for RB Travis Dye overshadows an in any other case handsome consequence with QB Caleb Williams throwing for 3 touchdowns and the Trojans profitable 55-17 towards Colorado.
8. Oregon (6): The best energy for Oregon’s rankings profile is the win towards UCLA because it offers a possibility for the Geese to stay one of many highest-ranked two-loss groups within the nation.
9. UCLA (9): The Bruins are at present in motion towards Arizona.
10. Alabama (10): The protection was robust closing out a 30-24 win at Ole Miss. Alabama pressured two punts and two turnovers on downs. Byron Younger had a team-high 11 tackles to go together with two sacks and a pressured fumble, main a defensive entrance that was in a position to feast when Ole Miss obtained into third-and-long conditions.
11. Clemson (12): The 31-16 win vs. Louisville was a get-right second for Clemson, which leaned on the run sport and totaled 248 yards speeding and three touchdowns at 5.5 yards per carry.
12. Ole Miss (11): The Rebels’ SEC West competition disappeared within the shut loss to the Crimson Tide. Coach Lane Kiffin was fiery after the sport, not curious about any platitudes after one other loss to Nick Saban. Ole Miss is out of SEC and CFP competition however has however put collectively a robust season and will wind up in a big bowl sport.
13. Utah (13): The Utes are at present in motion towards Stanford.
14. North Carolina (15): The Tar Heels clinched the ACC Coastal crown for the second time in program historical past (first since 2015) with a 36-34 win at Wake Forest. Although 9-1 and competing for a convention championship, AP voters should still go away North Carolina behind different two-loss groups within the ballot. Drake Maye was excellent as soon as once more finishing 31 of 49 passes for 448 yards and three touchdowns with 71 yards speeding and one other rating as his Heisman Trophy bid ratcheted up one other notch.
15. Penn State (14): The Nittany Lions obliterated Maryland 30-0 to once more set themselves aside because the third-best crew within the Large Ten behind Ohio State and Michigan. Sean Clifford eclipsed 10,000 yards passing in his profession, changing into the primary Penn State sign caller to take action.
16. Washington (24): Michael Penix Jr. delivered on the largest stage with greater than 400 passing yards and the scores wanted to assist the Huskies notch one of many program’s most notable highway wins within the CFP period, 37-34 over Oregon.
17. Notre Dame (20): The Combating Irish led 35-13 and held on to win 35-32 towards Navy. Now 7-3 with 4 wins in a row, Notre Dame is surging with Boston Faculty subsequent week earlier than the regular-season finale at USC.
18. UCF (22): The Knights jumped into pole place for the Group of 5’s New Yr’s Six bid with a 38-31 win at Tulane, supplanting the Inexperienced Wave for the highest spot. John Rhys Plumlee returned with three complete touchdowns and 176 yards speeding.
19. Tulane (16): Now 8-2 with a win over Kansas State, it is truthful for Tulane to be dissatisfied in a must-win spot towards UCF. If the Inexperienced Wave need one other shot on the Knights, they will get it, however they should defeat SMU and Cincinnati within the last two video games of the season to maneuver to the AAC Championship Recreation.
20. Kansas State (23): One other week with Kansas State having to beat quarterback accidents, and but, the Wildcats had the reply. Adrian Martinez left with an damage, however Will Howard stepped in with three landing passes in a 31-3 win at Baylor.
21. Texas (18): The Longhorns are liable to being dropped from the highest 25 solely simply by having 4 losses. Our projection is that the win at Kansas State, the shut margin towards TCU and a scarcity of consensus for the subsequent groups up hold Texas inside the highest 25.
22. Florida State (25): The Seminoles are on a roll proper now, following up a 42-point win at Miami with a 35-point win at Syracuse. As LSU’s inventory rises, so does the worth of Florida State’s profile, which whereas having three losses additionally contains a win towards the SEC West champion.
23. Cincinnati (NR): One of many few groups simply exterior the highest 25 to win in Week 11, count on the Bearcats to interrupt again into the rankings after enhancing to 8-2 with a win towards ECU on Friday evening.
24. UTSA (NR): The 8-2 Roadrunners simply beat Louisiana Tech 51-7 for the crew’s seventh win in a row. UTSA is 6-0 in convention play and might be a risk to different groups within the working for a New Yr’s Six bid within the coming weeks.
25. Troy (NR): Like UTSA, Troy is scorching proper now with seven wins in a row. It simply improved to 8-2 with a win towards Military. It is attainable Solar Belt rival Coastal Carolina or Oklahoma State get this spot, however we expect the victory towards the Black Knights would possibly draw sufficient consideration for a lift in voting factors.
Projected to drop out: No. 17 NC State, No. 19 Liberty, No. 21 Illinois